6.22.2010

Daddy's Little Girl has something to say......and sing about!

I figured in honor of Father's Day, I'd take a chance to talk about someone very important in my life: my dad. I'll admit, we haven't always seen eye to eye and I know for a while we didn't talk, but that doesn't mean that my father is any less important to me. While my mom was dealing with a lot of mental health issues, I could always rely on my dad to be there when I needed him. Even when I was little and he was always busy with being involved in local politics, he would make the time to be there in my life. I thought he was invincible, that nothing could harm him no matter what happened. 

I remember going with him to work when he needed to go in on a Saturday for a few hours. He'd always get me a hot chocolate (and on occasion a strawberry frosted donut) for breakfast and while he finished up what he needed to do, his co-workers would show me magic tricks or tell me stories. 

I remember my brother's football games and cheering as loud as I could while he explained the logistics of the sport to me. 

He also never missed any of the football games when I was a cheerleader.

I remember all the piano & dance recitals, concerts, softball games, and poetry readings that he made a point to attend, sitting there in the audience as proud as can be.

Back to School Night......he was there to talk with my teachers.

When I had my breakdown my freshman year of high school, he was there with my mom to make sure I got the help I needed.

My first day of college, he was there to help me bring up my stuff and move in.......even coming back at the end of the semester to help me move out.

Even on the day he got re-married, he saved me a dance.

And on Sunday, despite the fact that I'm 26 years old and an adult, he still calls me by the same nickname he gave me when I was a little girl.

So while we've had our differences, I must admit that I have one awesome dad. Whenever I've needed him there, he's been there, through thick and thin. These songs I want to share with you are not exactly all parental-related, but just songs that whenever I hear them, I'm taken back to a special moment I shared with my dad. And so in honor of my dad, here's my list of songs that remind me of him:

1) Baba O'Reilly by The Who: Upon our various road trips to Myrtle Beach, SC during the summer, my dad always brought along two albums....one of them being Who's Next. He was always into rock music and made a note of bringing along his favorite tunes for the drive. A few times we would change up the words to this song to say "sauce pan wasteland"......just to joke about my mom's cooking. Yet every time I hear this, I still think of those road trips and smile.

2) Prelude/Angry Young Man by Billy Joel: Another road trip staple, the familiar piano licks in the beginning of this number always take me back to sitting in traffic on the way to Myrtle Beach. And even now, when I hear those familiar notes, I still get the same goosebumps that I got when I was seven years old. 

3) Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle: At first, I HATED this song! Well, hate is a very strong word indeed.....let's go with it grated on me. My dad was all about this song though. He loved the way that it went through the stages of a girl's life through the eyes of her father and how even when she was ready to get married, they would still share the same traditions they did when she was little. I know my father always loved that part and laughed a little when I would cringe at this song. I felt (and still feel) that is particularly cheesy and slightly indulgent, but it brings a smile to my face knowing just how important this one is to my father.

4) Lady in Red by Chris DeBurgh: A little out of sorts, yes. But put into a particular context, one would know why this one makes the list. When my father was getting re-married, my stepmom wanted to make sure her bridesmaids were dressed in her favorite color: RED. And so, after careful searching and deliberation, she chose these beautiful floor-length red dresses with flower beading along the strap. They were perfect in every way and I couldn't wait to wear it! The night of the reception, when this song came on, despite the fact that red is not my signature color, my dad walked up to my table and told me that he saved this dance for the lady in red.........the memory still brings a tear of happiness every now and then.

5) Funeral for a Friend by Elton John: While I may be the music junkie, my dad has been a HUGE influence in some of the music that I listen to today. A lot of classic rock, he has always shared his favorite musical gems with me, hoping that I would keep listening to music that he could enjoy with me. And when I was coming out of my boy-band phase, this was one of the songs that he hoped I'd listen to. Even now, he still does not disappoint with the music suggestions........although I could definitely teach him a thing or two now! 

6) Black Balloon by Goo Goo Dolls: I know, a very random song choice......and not exactly the most positive of meanings. Yet almost every time I'd get into my dad's car when this song came out......it would always be on. So only fitting I add this song here. 

7) Tommy Soundtrack by The Who: Around the time I was ten or so, The Who's Tommy came out on Broadway......and my dad made it a point to make sure that we were there to see it! I can remember sitting in the 10th row with my brother next to me, thinking that I was going to be bored out of my mind with whatever we were seeing. I was more into Cats, Phantom of the Opera, anything that seemed more theatrical than rock-ish. Seeing this show definitely made me change my mind about rock music in general, as the moment the music started, I nearly jumped out of my seat at how loud it was.......definitely something my father would want to see. I didn't even need to see his face to know he was enjoying himself to the fullest at the show.

8) If I Had A $1,000,000 by the Barenaked Ladies: Whenever my dad and I would hear this song on WPLJ, it always spawned a lot of laughter, a little bit of a sing-a-long, and some bonding over a band that I never thought both of us would really like. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the Barenaked Ladies are quite talented, but their style was something I never imagined myself really getting into at all! So when this song would come on, my dad and I would smile at one another as he proceeded to turn the volume up and we sang ALL the words! 

***************************************************

Even at 26, I'm still going to be that little girl to my father......and that's ok.

Because he's been there through it all, seen more than I know about, and has never ceased to remind me how proud he is of who I've become. 

I hope that I don't let him down.

~Jenny Rockstar

No comments:

Post a Comment